Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Residential Interior Design Process



A Quiet Space!!
Every now and then, I start a project and become sort of perplexed as to how to proceed. This was what happened here. This room has been impossible for me to shoot. I've tried a wide angle lens.  Standing just outside the room, in the doorway, I got nothing but walls or distorted views. So, I've decided to take it one corner at a time.

When I first walked into this space, there was a double bed, an old iron Tiffany lamp, an ottoman stuck into a strange little cut out area, and the room was dark. The client had really one request. They wanted to have a queen sized bed in this room. In fact, they didn't care about anything, but at least being able to offer an occasional guest a nice comfy bed.

And so, the project began. Usually I make it a rule to always take "before" and "after" photos, but for some reason, the space just didn't seem like anything was going to happen. The old bed was being removed, almost while we were speaking with the client. My partner and I were walking the project, and literally when we ventured back into this little room, the contents were hauled off.

Actually, with nothing in this room, I could actually visualize with a much cleaner slate. Opposite the bed was a window which faced out into a wooded lot, over-looking Lake Austin. The view was almost romantic. Imagine a haze from the water below, and shadows partially lighting a view from the top of a hill. Spectacular, I thought as I tried to imagine a small space where one could peacefully drift off while reading an English classic.

My imagination was in full gear. I knew that the floor space was limited, so any lighting which was going to be provided was going to have to come from the walls, and or ceiling. The largest wall was definitely wide enough for a queen size bed and had enough addition footage to permit a small side table. I was actually very pleasantly surprised. 

So many times, when I walk into a space, I can visualize right away. Possibly I was thrown off by the arrangement of the furniture, as it was when I first saw the space? I actually became really excited and sort of relieved. This was going to work.

We were able to fit the larger bed, a small night table, a love seat (as shown in the photo above), and create a little make-up area in the awkward little nook. We had a love seat built  by Holly Hunt and the window coverings were selected through the Kravet Showroom by Lee Jofa. Really a very charming little space that became both utilitarian and cottage country side.

The photo really doesn't speak for the real character of the room. The bedding is a cream quilted linen. The head  board was fabricated in a mat antique brownish-black stain, with a hand stenciled fern.  It really is quite charming!! The night table provided space for a lamp, so their guest is able to read in bed.

Moral of the story...this room became a really nice little guest suite with a private bathroom just outside the bedroom door and a private entrance to the outside. This was one of those projects which surprised us all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think?